What is the meaning of Anansi?
Our company is named after Anansi, the cunning and intelligent spider who is one of the most important characters of West African folklore. Tales of Anansi have spread from West Africa to the Caribbean, the United States and beyond with the movement of people of African descent. By naming our company after Anansi, we seek to learn from the wisdom of this African folk hero, and strive to create a new symbol of African culture and enterprise in South Africa.
Anansi is 80% black owned and 80% black woman owned. Under the revised B-BBEE codes we will become a Level 2 Contributor with a 125% procurement recognition level.
An Award Winning Company
Anthea Ambursley, the Managing Director of Anansi, is a mom, wife and a phenomenal award winning entrepreneur, she is very passionate about the hospitality industry and the growth of entrepreneurs and is the proud winner of the following business awards:
- 2009 – Northern Region KickStart Award, South Africa Brewery (SAB)
- 2009 – Business Launch Pad Award, FNB, SEDA and the Enablis Entrepreneurial Network
- 2010 – Regional Business Achiever's Award, Business Women's Association of South Africa
- 2011 – Business Woman of the Year, SA Council for Business Women
- 2012 - Entrepreneur of the Year Award Finalist, Sanlam and Business Partners
- 2014 – Beneficiary, Transcend Advisory and Corporate Advisors Supplier Development Programme
- 2014 – Beneficiary, The Hope Factory Enterprise and Supplier Development Programme
- 2014 – 8th Finalist for Margaret Hirsch , Business Woman of the Year Competition
Anthea's business achievements have been featured in several publications, including City Press, the Sunday Times, the Mail and Guardian, and the Entrepreneur Magazine.